I'm having trouble with the vacuum advance on my 1978 US spitfire with
the stock Lucas 45D4 distributor with an Allison Electronic Ignition.  I
hadn't checked the timing for about 2 years due to a broken timing
light.  I recently bought a new one and found that my initial timing was
spot on, but that I was only getting about 10 degrees additional advance
at 4000 rpm.  I dismantled the distributor and discovered that the
mechanical advance was sticking and cleaned that up and now I get full
mechanical advance.  I took the car for a test drive and it accelerated
fine but "hunted" at cruising speed, there were very small but constant
changes in speed at constant throttle regardless of whether I was going
25mph or 60mph.  But when I disconnect the vacuum advance, the problem
goes away.

It seems to me that the timing is "jumping" when the vacuum advance unit
comes into play and I can't figure out why.  Initially the vacuum unit
was mounted loose on the distributor but I have tightened it down and
that made no improvement.  I have also checked for a vacuum leak in the
hose and carb fitting by the rather low tech method of sucking on the
line, the distributor advances smoothly and stays in place.

I don't know what else to look for.  I'm also confused why a problem
with the vacuum advance suddenly occurred after I fixed the mechanical
advance.  Any and all suggestions welcome!

TIA!

Greg Rowe

***     http://www.team.net/the-local    ***

Your messages not reaching the list?
Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html

***  unsubscribe/change address requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  or try
***  http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool