Darrell,
 
Hmm, I'm not sure about this, I haven't heard about it before but I guess
it's theoretically possible.  What you are suggesting is that there is
increased pressure in the crankcase from blowby, then during the induction
stroke the pressure above the piston will be lower than that in the
crankcase, so some of the oily air will be sucked past the piston rings into
the combustion chamber and will burn (probably not very completely) along
with the petrol.
 
To be honest, I doubt the amount of oil that would get into the cylinders
this way could cause a significant smoke out the tail pipe.  Only a very
small amount of gas needs to escape past the piston rings to build up
crankcase pressure, you'd need a lot more gas going the other way for any
significant amount of oil to get into the combustion chamber.  More oil
would get into the combustion chambers simply by the vent pipe from the
valve cover being properly connected to the carbs, and that doesn't cause
smoking.  But I'm going on instinct here more than personal experience or
empirical measurements.

Richard



This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If 
you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly 
prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in 
this communication shall be legally binding.

Your messages not reaching the list?
Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html

===  This list supported in part by The Vintage Triumph Register
===     http://www.vtr.org

===  unsubscribe/change address requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  or try
===  http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool
===  Other lists available at
===      http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo
===  Archives at http://www.team.net/archive
===  http://www.team.net/the-local
===  Edit your replies!

Reply via email to