Well, start by removing ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING from the
trunk and seeing if the noise changes.

Then drive around with a small kid in the trunk, and
ask them if they can hear it.  :-)

But seriously, after you clean out the trunk, you will
have done half the work of removing the gas tank cover
panel.

Doug