Well, I might as well add in my opinion/theory.

I think it's probably a test for later messages.  They could be using the YS
voice as a known quantity that they could compare to a single "control"
recording.  A voice test would be better in some cases than a certain tone,
because if the reciever is a person, it would be good to make sure the voice
is understandable.

Think of it this way.  The controls are set, the message is sent on a
certain frequency in certain conditions.  The quality of the result it
recorded.  The settings of the controls are changed slightly.  The process
is then repeated.

After a while, they could find the ideal settings to get a message from a
certain location to a certain location, in certain conditions, in a certain
format.

Just a theory.

Pentalarc