I learned only yesterday that Brian Whipp died last month after a short
illness. I did not know him personally, but I will never forget an
inspirational debate he had with Tim Noakes at the 1999 ACSM conference on
the topic of whether muscle hypoxia limits performance.  From my report at
http://www.sportsci.org/1999/2 : "The rhetoric was wonderful.  Noakes,
citing a personal communication from [email protected]: 'I believe Tim Noakes:
he fits his theories to My facts.'  Whipp, referring to Noakes by citing
Voltaire on Descartes: 'He seems intent on excising the errors and replacing
them with his own.'"

There is a memorial at http://brianjwhippmemorial.blogspot.com/ by one of
his colleagues, Sue Ward.

Will
Will G Hopkins, PhD FACSM FECSS
Contact info: http://sportsci.org/will
Sportscience: http://sportsci.org
Statistics: http://newstats.org
Be creative: break rules.




------------------------------------

Post messages to [email protected].  To (un)subscribe, send any 
message to sportscience-(un)[email protected]. View all messages at 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sportscience/.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sportscience/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sportscience/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to