Here's a summary of the responses I received to my question earlier this
week.  I was hoping that Statistica would work as a graphic user interface
(GUI) to R, to allow access to the statistical procedures in R without
having to write programs in the unfriendly R code.  Apparently it doesn't do
that, so I'm not sure whether Statistica is offering anything really useful.

The most promising message I got was from Josie Athens (via Kim
Hebert-Losier--thanks, Kim!), who says that there is a third-party GUI for R
called Deducer, which may work better than R's own GUI, Rstudio, although
she's been using it only on a Mac.  See the last message below.  So if
anyone has had experience with Deducer on a PC, especially Windows 7, please
get back to me/us.

Will

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
From: Ian Shrier, Dr. [mailto:[email protected]] 
[You've seen this message on the mailing list already.]

I don't  use statistics. But on Page 18 of the document you linked to, it
seems you can access any R package (library). The one I use for mixed
modelling is lme4. I think there are others, but this should do everything
you need.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
From: M Daniel Becque [mailto:[email protected]] 

>From this link
http://www.statsoft.com/Portals/0/Support/Download/White-Papers/R_Integratio
n_Overview.pdf
it looks like you have full access to all of R.
[but] from what I saw it is just running the scripts. There is an R.app that
runs on the Mac OS that provides a GUI,
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html. I am not sure that is
what you want.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
From: Hamish Ferguson [mailto:[email protected]] 

See http://www.statsoft.com/Solutions/Cross-Industry/R-Integration/
[This page gives a simpler overview of what Statistica is offering than the
PDF link I sent in my original message.  That PDF link is on this page.]

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
From: Josie Athens [mailto:[email protected]] 

I have not run R scripts from Statistica. I usually use R with either the
native GUI or through the library Deducer (see web page: deducer.org). I
wrote a long source file that adds several menus (mainly
epidemiology-related) to the existing Deducer options which makes things
very easy and friendly for students. However, I have not included any mixed
models yet.

[and in response to a question from me about Rstudio....]
RStudio is relatively more reliable than Deducer because is a native
application. Deducer is a Java application which can be tricky. I haven't
have any problems with Deducer on my Mac, however, I have seen that on some
PCs running Windows, Deducer misbehaves, as the submenus are kind of not
functional sometimes. This may be due to the model of the computers (the
ones my students use on the lab). I cannot really tell as I do not use
Windows.

RStudio does not offer the Menus that Deducer does. It does not even come
close. The main advantage of Deducer is how easy is to make plots. You can
have a look at some of the videos/tutorials shown on their web page.




------------------------------------

Post messages to [email protected].  To (un)subscribe, send any 
message to sportscience-(un)[email protected]. View all messages at 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sportscience/.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sportscience/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sportscience/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to