Hi Patrice,

It seems that I didn't explain my method very well, so you didn't understand it
very well either.

I explain my method again in your lines here, please see it.

//This solution does not work since an ESI spans over more than one EVI.

//With an ESI SID, the egress PE won’t know the VPN to import coming packets.

WYB: The ESI SID is not carried in the DIP, but in the SIP (as  section 1  of
my original mail described) or the SRH (as my original section 2 described).

          Maybe it should not be called as an "SID", because they are so
different.

//If we want to go down that road, we need to have an SID per ESI/EVI.

WYB:  The so-called "ESI SID" is not carried in DIP, the DIP is a new SID
similar with End.DT2U (but used for BUM packets) and without a ARGS field.

            so, I don't mean that there is an SID per ESI/EVI either.

+------------------------------+

| Outer Ethernet Header      |

+------------------------------+

| Outer IP Header(other fields)|

+------------------------------+

+------------------------------+

+------------------------------+

| SRH                  |  //when "ESI SID" in SRH, it won't overrides the DIP.

+------------------------------+

| Inner Ethernet Header      |

+------------------------------+

| Ethernet Payload         |

+------------------------------+

| Ethernet FCS            |

+------------------------------+

//The way we are doing it is very similar. By combining 2 information, an per
ESI/EVI SID create is used in forwarding.

//It is funny that you think the forwarding will be better since you are
getting to same situation.

//In fact, the packet transports an unique SID… so I don’t get why it is
complex.

WYB: In section 3 of my original mail, the "complex" means that , when the BUM
packet is carried in Multicast Group

    or BIER by the underlay network, the ESI-label need to be upstream-assigned.

   It seems that the current draft only describes the ingress-replicating
scenario, but leaves the P-multicast tree scenario neglected.

   By considering 2 scenarios at the same time, the "ESI SID" method may be
simpler. Because it has a unified dataplane.

   I my opinion, the "ESI SID" needn't be carried in the DIP.

   and the "ESI SID" in the SIP is not only used in ESI-filtering,

   but also used to pick a specified soure-ESI out and do specified operations
to it.

   I think this is another advantage of the "ESI SID" method.

   as I explained above, the "ESI SID" may be not a accurate concept.

   and we can discuss the method first, if the method is tenable, we can find
another word to replace the "ESI SID" concept.

From: "Patrice Brissette (pbrisset)" <pbris...@cisco.com>

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 15:27:52 +0000

To: "wang.yub...@zte.com.cn" <wang.yub...@zte.com.cn>, "gdawra.i...@gmail.com"

 <gdawra.i...@gmail.com>,

 "Clarence Filsfils (cfilsfil)" <cfils...@cisco.com>,

 "Darren Dukes (ddukes)" <ddu...@cisco.com>, "Pablo Camarillo (pcamaril)"

 <pcama...@cisco.com>, "john_le...@cable.comcast.com"

 <john_le...@cable.comcast.com>, "daniel.vo...@bell.ca"

 <daniel.vo...@bell.ca>, "daniel.bern...@bell.ca" <daniel.bern...@bell.ca>,

 "d...@steinberg.net" <d...@steinberg.net>, "rob...@raszuk.net"

 <rob...@raszuk.net>,

 "bruno.decra...@orange.com" <bruno.decra...@orange.com>,

 "satoru.matsush...@g.softbank.co.jp" <satoru.matsush...@g.softbank.co.jp>

Cc: "i...@ietf.org" <i...@ietf.org>, "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>

Subject: Re: [spring] Discussions on ESI filtering procedure in SRv6 EVPN
(defined in draft-dawra-idr-srv6-vpn-03)

Hi,

This solution does not work since an ESI spans over more than one EVI.

With an ESI SID, the egress PE won’t know the VPN to import coming packets.

If we want to go down that road, we need to have an SID per ESI/EVI.

The way we are doing it is very similar. By combining 2 information, an per
ESI/EVI SID create is used in forwarding.

It is funny that you think the forwarding will be better since you are getting
to same situation.

In fact, the packet transports an unique SID… so I don’t get why it is complex.

Regards

Patrice Brissette