Dear colleagues,
One of the issues I've raised during my Early RTG-DIR
review<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-spring-segment-routing-mpls-13-rtgdir-early-vainshtein-2018-06-10/>
 of the
SR-MPLS<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-mpls-14>
draft dealt the way in which identity of the network protocol of the packet can
be inferred when the label that represents some segment ID happens to be the
bottom-of-stack label.

The Editors'
response<https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/spring/current/msg03877.html>
was that for labels representing Prefix and Adjacency SIDs, the network
protocol of such a packet is always either Ipv4 and IPv6. For Prefix SIDs this
is obvious and for Adjacency SIDs IPv4 vs. IPv6 is indicated by the F-Flag in
the corresponding IS-IS TLV (or its analogs for OSPF). This is also applicable
for Binding SID because it refers to a specific prefix (or a range of prefixes
from the same family).

>From my POV this response is sufficient in the context of the SR-MPLS.
>However, it does not help in the case of Path Segments introduced with your
>draft.

One use case for the label representing a Path Segment being BoS is LSP Ping
(RFC 8029) for Segment Routing (RFC 8287) since both IPv4 and IPv6 packets can
follow the BoS label in LSP Ping. It is not even clear whether packets
immediately following the Path Segment label that is BoS can be neither IPv4
nor IPv6.

Your clarification of this point would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Sasha

Office: +972-39266302
Cell:      +972-549266302
Email:   alexander.vainsht...@ecitele.com

This e-mail message is intended for the recipient only and contains information
which is
CONFIDENTIAL and which may be proprietary to ECI Telecom. If you have received
this
transmission in error, please inform us by e-mail, phone or fax, and then
delete the original
and all copies thereof.