On Thu, 12 Sep 2019, 00:56 Ron Bonica, <rbonica=40juniper....@dmarc.ietf.org>
wrote:

> Pablo,
>

> So, to make uSID work:
>

>    - You have to get a large block (e.g., /32) from your RIR
>    - You have to allocate a smaller block (e.g., /48)  to each router for
>    uSIDs
>    - You can’t use more specifics from that block for anything else
>    (e.g., numbering interfaces)
>    - If you do, you may cause multiple SR paths to black hole

+ Ignore the subnet ID field definition - RFC 3587.

+ Ignore the IID field definition - RFC 4291.

+ Ensure your combined set of uSID values in the IID field don't end up
being any of the reserved IID values - RFC 5453.

I realised quite a while ago to overcome some early Ethernet MTU issues
with MPLS, by, on a point to point Ethernet link, switching each end into
promiscuous mode and then putting MPLS labels in the 12 octets of the now
unused address fields. It should work although it is being non-obvious, and
may cause unexpected problems. For example, switching on the "multicast
bit" in the source address field actually says there is a Token Ring Route
Information Field after the Ethernet header.

Possibly useful hack, but not something I'd do by choice. Encoding uSIDs in
IPv6 addresses is similar and could possibly cause more problems, because
the domain or scope of transmission is much greater than a single
point-to-point link.

Regards,
Mark.