On 01-Mar-20 07:25, Robert Raszuk wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I respectfully will disagree with your assessment.
>
> Reason #1 - IPv6 can be encapsulated in IPv6 - RFC2473. This is base of SRv6
> operation. If this would be deprecated, moved to historic or made illegal -
> games over. But if this is still legal then ultimate destination for a packet
> is what it listed in outer IPv6 header DA. That's pretty basic. Now what the
> destination in the header will do with the packet is completely different
> story.
>
> Reason #2 - "a node can’t be both the penultimate, and the ultimate, node."
> Of course it can. You are looking flat ..

But I've been told by several people that this is not the use case. I believe
the little diagram I sent yesterday is the use case. And the trick in the
description
of PSP is what I pointed out yesterday too: deleting the header when
segments-left == 0
but the destination address is not yet set to the final one:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/spring/n46VuroVGvRurIgGNLZxFbAHvIo/

The thing is, it can be coded and I fully believe there is running code. Also,
answering
your question "what harm does it do?" I think the answer objectively is "none,
unless
you want to use AH". Making a packet smaller on the last hop cannot break PMTUD.

So I think the text needs to admit the trick it's playing on RFC 8200. Then the
IETF
can choose whether to let that trick pass.

   Brian