On 05-Oct-21 10:15, Robert Raszuk wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> Your below example has nothing to do with Internet Standard violation.
>
> You are free to define new ethertype and new IP header format any time you
> wish to do so.
>
> Obviously it can not be called IPv6 any more as it is not compatible with
> IPv6 IP header format.
>
> Main reason why SRv6 has chosen to use IPv6 is to make architecture
> practically deployable and to make sure SR packets can be forwarded by legacy
> nodes not SRv6 aware.

Isn't that the point of Ron's question? If the format of the DA field of a
packet doesn't conform to the IPv6 address architecture, how can you call it an
IPv6 packet, or expect the "legacy" node to do anything sensible?

I have no intention of studying this work in detail, but if some present or
future SID format happens to start with the bytes 0xfe80, a "legacy" node will
certainly not forward a packet in which that SID occupies the DA
space.

I use the word "legacy node" because you do, but actually you mean "normal IPv6
node". SRV6 is the new kid on the block.

More below...

> Best,
> Robert.
>

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 11:00 PM Ron Bonica
> <rbonica=40juniper....@dmarc.ietf.org <mailto:40juniper....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     Brian,
>
>     Is there any limit to the degree that one Internet Standard can violate
> another, so long as that violation is constrained to a limited domain?
>
>     For example, if I wanted to reduce the size of IPv6 header by shrinking
> the source and destination addresses to 64 bits each, would that be OK?

There is serious work on shortened addresses, I believe, but that work includes
specifying what happens at the domain boundary. Apart from that, I've already
cited my generic analysis of the question.
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8799.html#name-the-scope-of-protocols-in-l

I wouldn't have co-authored that document if the IETF wasn't already
standardizing quite a number of such protocols. As far as I know, there is no
IETF or IAB document that takes a position on whether this is good, bad, or
neutral.

   Brian

                 Ron