<mailto:m...@sandelman.ca>> wrote:
> [...]
>     >> comply with while I have 1000s, 10s or 100s of 1000s of customers
>     >> off-line.
>     >
>     > Mark,
>     >
>     > I think you might be lumping together several disparate proposals
in
>     > your general claim that "IPv6 field immutability while the packet
is
>     > in flight is also dead".
>     >
>     > When SRH was under discussion in 6man there was a lot of work to
>     > define which fields were immutable and that is described in RFC8754.
>     > Those definitions are sufficient to specify proper interaction between
>     > SRH and AH, however RFC8754 knowingly breaks AH as that handling was
>     > not specified. Some of us did object to that, but I suppose expediency
>     > to publish the protocol won out. Nevertheless, there is nothing that
>     > prevents someone from properly defining AH usage with SRH.
>     >
>     > As for the IPv6 destination address, it was never defined to be an
>     > immutable field inflight. In fact, the core operation of a routing
>     > header is to overwrite the destination address at each intermediate
>     > destination. NAT also changes the DA in flight, but there is a
>     > significant difference between NAT and the routing header header
>     > operation: when a routing header is set in a packet the sender knows
>     > and indicates the destination address. For the purposes of AH or
>     > transport checksum, both the sender and final receiver use this
>     > address-- there is no ambiguity and the fact that the destination
>     > address is mutable in flight doesn't adversely impact end to end
>     > protocol operations that operate on the addresses.
>     >
>     > We have seen various proposals to steal bits or redefine flow label
>     > fields, but IMO it's unlikely any of those will ever get consensus.
>     > Hosts routinely set the flow label as an unstructured value, and
>     > redefining flow label semantics would be a massive retroactive change
>     > in deployment. I would point out though, that the flow label is
>     > technically not immutable in flight, RFC6437 allows it to be modified
>     > by intermediate nodes for "only for compelling operational security
>     > reasons".
>
>     Correct, because it was very clear that some firewalls were going to
>     clobber it whatever we wrote. So we tried to describe behaviour
>     that would not nullify the usefulness of the field for stateless
>     load balancing.
>

> Brian,
>
> Thanks for the explanation concerning why the exception was created. For the
> concern that the flow label could be used a a covert channel, was this a
> hypothetical possibility or in response to some real events (sending twenty
> bits at a time doesn't seem like a very effective covert channel
compared to other methods :-) )

This was one of the crucial differences between RFC3967 and RFC6437. As I
recall, it was started by anecdotal evidence of firewalls zapping the flow
label, and then we discussed how to deal with this. For example:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ipv6/0T2gPgciSq6qG-2JGBzHvBuVKb8/

It was discussed at length but (almost inevitably) without input from
actual firewall vendors, I believe.

    Brian