From: Dongjie (Jimmy) <jie.d...@huawei.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2024 10:37 AM
To: Alexander Vainshtein <alexander.vainsht...@rbbn.com>; Gyan Mishra
<hayabusa...@gmail.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-spring-resource-aware-segme...@ietf.org; spring@ietf.org; Acee
Lindem <acee.i...@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: [spring] Intended status of
draft-ietf-spring-resource-aware-segments

Hi Sasha,

Please see my reply to Gyan about his point on the “extension encoding”. This
document does not change the encoding of SR SIDs, the change is in the
semantics of the SIDs, and consequently the forwarding behavior of the
resource-aware SIDs will be a little bit different from the normal SID, as the
SID also identifies a specific set of resources used to execute the packet
processing action. This may be a subtle change/update to SR, while it would be
good if this could be reflected by the document type.

The text you quoted below shows that the resource-aware SIDs may be allocated
per <topology, algorithm> tuple, and it is also possible that multiple
resource-aware SIDs are associated with the same <topology, algorithm> tuple,
in which case a new distinguisher in the control plane is needed. In both
cases, the resource-aware SIDs would be associated with a set of network
resource. The difference is the scalability implication and the control plane
mechanisms used.  For some network scenarios, existing control protocol
mechanisms can be reused, while for some other network scenarios (e.g. for
better scalability), some control plane extensions may be needed.

The resource-aware segments concept is generic, and realization of NRP/VTN is
just one application of it. As an example, you can find it is referenced by
drafts such as draft-dong-lsr-sr-enhanced-vpn.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jie