Travis, the AHJ may have been at the top of the food chain for the FD, but not 
at the top of the code authority.  He gets his authority from someone higher 
up,  City council, county supervisors, or whatever.

I once had a deputy state fire marshal tell me we had to sprinkler a 
noncombustible stairway, when the code said we didn't.  He was adamant.  I told 
him I would do it because the client had to get along with the project, but 
that I would take it up with his superiors.  Several weeks afterward he called 
me with apologies, saying he had been wrong.

In another case an AHJ said we had to treat a medical office building as a 
hospital.  This time we had time, so I went unofficially to his leaders, 
suggesting that he needed a bit of training, both on the code and customer 
relations.  We won.

George is right.  Stand up and fight, even if it has to be after the fact.

 
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ed Vining
4819 John Muir Rd
Martinez CA 94553
925-228-8792



----- Original Message ----
From: Travis Mack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:27:26 AM
Subject: RE: Telling an AHJ "No" ?


George:

I completely agree.  Just a couple weeks ago, I had an AHJ review a set of
plans/calcs.  There was a small room that was light hazard.  The room was
about 150 sq ft.  However, due to lights and such, we were 7.5' off 2 walls.
I calc'd the head at 15gpm.  He called and said he wanted it calc'd at 22.5
gpm.  I started to tell him about the small room and how you take room area
and divide by # of heads to get flow for small rooms in light hazard.  The
exact quote was: "Don't try to justify anything to me.  You do what I want
or this will not get approved."  He then hung up, no further explanations.
This was in a relatively small jurisdiction in UT and we have to deal with
him frequently.  It ended up costing about $500 to change the piping to give
him what he wanted.  Nothing was installed, but it required a change of pipe
size and making a small loop.
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to