Richard,

I've run into this a couple of times out here in California.
Some thoughts based on my own experience:

There is nothing in NFPA-13R which requires any such test, going back to the 1994 edition

If the AHJ has a published policy requiring such a test you are pretty much obligated to perform it

If the maximum number of sprinklers in a compartment is less than four, there should be a change in the test to require that you only flow the maximum number of sprinklers in the compartment to a max of four, similar to the hydraulic calculation design area for a 13R system.

If you're required to route the discharge to an exterior location you may want to verify that your both flowing the water through an orifice sized to match those of th sprinklers and to take into account back pressure from the hoses or piping used to direct the flow.

Hope that helps.
PARSLEY CONSULTING
Ken Wagoner, SET
760.745.6181 voice
760.745.0537 fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> e-mail
www.ParsleyConsulting.com <http://www.ParsleyConsulting.com> website

Richard Battershell wrote:
Help.  I have a fire official requiring us to do a four head bucket test on
a NFPA 13r system.  I can't find anything to convince him otherwise.
Someone point me in the right direction or tell me if it is in fact a
requirement.  We don't do a great deal of 13r systems.

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]