-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Top Myers
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 4:51 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Hanger Size Question

The following wording explains the issue.  CPVC manufacturers have often
written letters allowing upsizing one size on U-strap hangers

The process of attaching CPVC fire sprinkler pipe and fittings systems
to a structure using certain types of hangers and supports not used to
restrain the piping system as required to address specific sprinkler
applications/Listings may possibly impart excessive, unacceptable stress
upon the pipe.   This can lead to cracking of the pipe.  For example,
excessive bending stress can be placed on the pipe when a hanger is
located near a fitting and fastened tightly to the structure.  The
actual deflection of the pipe should be compared to the values given in
the table of "Permissible Bending Deflections of CPVC Pipe with Both
Ends Restrained".  Always minimize the stress upon the CPVC fire
sprinkler system when installing hangers and supports.  If, in the
example mentioned, the deflection is greater than that specified in the
table, the next larger size hanger could be installed to reduce the
stress.

Top Myers
Myers Risk Services
961 Pottstown Pike