Fellow forumites,

I know that every once in a while we sit back and think "Now I've heard everything", and I admit to a certain amount of that type of thinking myself. However, the most recent phone call from a fire marshal here in Southern California has me
laughing, swearing, and scratching my head in wonder.

California has recently adopted the 2002 edition of NFPA-13, however there are certain districts (his is one) who have adopted the 2007 edition, and are vigorously applying the provisions for earthquake bracing. It seems that he's reviewing a set of fire sprinkler plans which utilize Dyna-flow pipe (from Allied) for the mains in the building. Therein lies the problem.

Section 9.3.5.3.2 of the '07 indicates that the maximum permissible load for lateral sway bracing at various spacings shall be in accordance with Tables 9.3.5.3.2 (a) and (b), which cover Schedule 10 and Schedule 40 steel, respectively. The AHJ has decided that since there is no mention of Dyna-thread (or Copper or CPVC for that matter), in these tables that those materials are no longer acceptable for installation of fire sprinkler system mains in his jurisdiction. When he called me with this I thought it was academic, an exercise to see if he could figure out how those values in the tables were determined, but I was in error. He's deadly serious, has issued stop-work orders on two projects, and told the vendors for Dyna-flow not to even bother shipping it to any project in his jurisdiction. My suggestion that the information in the annex of that section pointed him to calculations which could easily be done by anyone with a copy of ASCE-7 he just laughed and said he wasn't sticking his neck out for anyone. For one of the few times in my life I didn't have a response vulgar enough to express myself clearly at his perspective.

Just thought I'd vent here.
PARSLEY CONSULTING
Ken Wagoner, SET
760.745.6181 voice
760.745.0537 fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> e-mail
www.ParsleyConsulting.com <http://www.ParsleyConsulting.com> website