Ed and Steve,

For what it's worth the Hanging and Bracing subcommittee of NFPA-13 considered just such a proposal during the recently concluded meetings in Tucson, and voted unanimously to reject it. I'm not suggesting the issue is dead, merely that a simple proposal such as that, without any guidance or clarification, particularly in the definition of what constituted a "long drop" was a part of that decision.

I'm not surprised at all that the Division of the State Architect has come up with some ruling without any guidance or substantiation. My experience with them has been that they live to do stuff like this.
PARSLEY CONSULTING
Ken Wagoner, SET
760.745.6181 voice
760.745.0537 fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> e-mail
www.ParsleyConsulting.com <http://www.ParsleyConsulting.com> website
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This correspondence is not a Formal

Interpretation issued pursuant to NFPA Regulations. Any opinion

expressed is the personal opinion of the author and does not necessarily

represent the official position of the NFPA or its Technical Committees.

In addition, this correspondence is neither intended, nor should it be

relied upon, to provide professional consultation or services.

Ed Cyr wrote:
Steve,

Thanks for forwarding my thread on. We will wait and see what shakes out.

No, I have not seen the amendments to NFPA 13, 2007. Can you forward this to
me offline?

BTW, We are required to sprinkler garages in 13D applications by direction
of the local AHJ. We use .05 density and residential sprinklers.

I'll help with your rebuttal.

Ed
Alpha Fire