From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:48 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: Fire Systems and Plumbers/Last Thought

I was going to add to Greg's submission that, theoretically (?), there should
be an "AHJ" both reviewing 'shop' drawings/calc's AND doing a rough-in &
final inspection to check for 'compliance' whether sprinks or plumbers are doing
the actual installation...That said, my biggest concern here in the State of
New Mexico is that we currently have 10 -12 Fire Extinguisher/Hood System
contractors that are (State) licensed to inspect, test, repair and INSTALL both
residential and commercial fire sprinkler systems.

These are contractors that somehow got into the sprinkler industry - for lack
of a better term - through the "back door". My point being, many of them have
ZERO credentials - no NFSA/AFSA apprenticeship, no "on-the-job" training, no
training classes, zilch. They are now installing home fire sprinkler systems
in single-family dwellings in New Mexico. Pardon the 'pun', but (to me) some of
the plumbers are suddenly looking "better".

Bottom line: We escaped the OMEGA/GB debacle with no loss of life (to my
knowledge)...With untrained, unsklilled, unethical PEOPLE installing residential
fire sprinkler systems, the loss of life - in sprinklered homes - is
inevitable. You read it here first.

Jerry D. Watts, SFPE
ACCENT FIRE ENGINEERING INT'L. Ltd.
Santa Fe/Albuquerque, NM  Seattle, WA  San Diego, CA  Phoenix, AZ
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: www.accentfire.com
(800) 503.1961