It might be Todd but I've looked at a bunch of old pump installations around
RI and CT and done some start-up's for Patterson on replacements.  This one
they had sold a new controller so we had to do the whole acceptance testing
thing and I did yearly's for a few years afterwards.  The pump was about 40
years old with an old jacoby tarbox relief, reduction drive and a deep well
fed off a 16"-18" sluice (spelling?) gate that was manual with a
counter-weighted door under about 6' of water.  It was salt or maybe
brackish, not sure but those one or two playpipes aimed up just coated the
parking lot next to the pump house.  The old man had retired and some new
developers were trying to get everything up to speed to rent the place out,
it was huge.  I can remember looking at the arrangement of flanged fittings
and threaded 10" and 8" and just trying to imagine how and who must have
labored through it all.  Grinnell?  Automatic?  Rowe??
The last time I was down there was the day after the Station Nightclub fire.
We tried to take a ride bye on our way back to Boston but everything was
closed off.
Tom


Tom,

If that is the old plant in RI in the upper part of the bay, I did a
small job there years ago. Stayed away from the pump, however. (I
think it is actually half way between you and me.) When I was with
FM, I did a number of  pump tests at the mills around Fall River and
New Bedford where they took suction out of the river or bay (or
filled cisterns from there) Most of that water was brackish, though.
Never saw the foam. I learned the lesson about watching where the
water goes from one of the guys that trained me at FM. Early in his
career, he accidentally filled a company president's convertible
Mercedes from the inspector's test connection.

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to