Ron,

Note that your problem is similar to the one posted a couple of weeks
ago about sprinklers and limited combustible construction in concealed
spaces. The AHJ in that case did not follow the line of
reason/interpretation to its conclusion. Instead the AHJ stopped with
chapter X (I can't remember the number just now) where non-combustible
construction is addressed but not limited combustible. He then said
that because limited combustibility was not accounted for in the IBC
text itself it was therefore not recognized regardless of what NFPA 13
said, even though 13 is referenced as a part of IBC in Chapter 9. In
short he seems to have relegated 13 to the status of a lesser and
separate document because the text is not included in the IBC
directly. In this he may be falling into the pit that many here fall
into by saying that IBC is a code but NFPA is merely a standard. In
truth IBC is presented as a MODEL code that may be adopted as a
code/law/statute and has all the requisite legal language needed to
make that so merely by having a
legislature/assembly/parliament/congress/ what have you pass a bill
adopting it. NFPA 13 et.al., on the other hand, are presented as
standards that may be referenced by a code and so become a part of it
and not a poor and distant stepchild if so referenced. Once referenced
by an adopted code a model standard is as much a part of that code as
any bit of text in the body of the code itself. This may be the same
sort of problem you're experiencing with your AHJ. I'm not going to
look up your actual references but just assume you did your homework.
If accurate then your line of reasoning is sound. As to the other
Forumite, he argued a similar path, backed up by me, then backed by
the collective wisdom of this august body and know followed by an AFSA
informal interpretation. All this essentially saying that the tyranny
of the majority calls the AHJ is a poo-poo head. Jury is still out on
his response to the informal interpretation. In both cases the AHJs
seem to be hanging their interpretation on only one part of a
collection of parts. But if you think about it in terms of the
controversy over gun laws each side seems to stress the clause in that
suits their particular bent and that's in a law only one sentence long
then this stuff is bound to happen in the complex multiple
sentence/section/chapter/document paths we need to follow.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Fletcher, Ron <rfletc...@aerofire.com> wrote:
> Now our local AHJ is requiring emergency vents on UL 142 diesel fuel
> tanks be vented to outside. And because we will be adding pipe and
> fittings between the tank and the vent they want calculations to prove
> that the pipe size is adequate and the vent will operate as advertised.
> (It seems like only yesterday that we went through the tank overfill
> protection with float valves and remote level indicators, now this.)
>
> Their argument is that the tank is "storage" and must comply with IFC
> 3404 and NFPA #30 even though the tank is connected through a closed
> fuel piping system to an oil fired piece of equipment.
>
> My read is that IFC 3401.2(3) references Section 603, 603.1 references
> Section 603 and the Int'l Mechanical Code. The Int'l Mechanical code
> references NFPA #37. NFPA #37 requires the normal vent to be piped out
> side but does not address emergency vents.
>
> Has anyone out there run into this before and do you or have you piped
> emergency vents to outside?
>
> I don't believe this jurisdiction has ever had a fuel tank for a diesel
> fire pump involved in a fire so the only history we have is no history.
>
> Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
>
> Ron Fletcher
> Aero Automatic Sprinkler
> Phoenix, AZ 85024