I believe the focus on this requirement is that these exterior spaces
(decks, balconies, whatever you call thems) represent an appreciable risk to
the building  due to human activity.  There have been some losses of
mid-rise 13R properties that were spectacular to watch as an exterior fire
on the balcony from cigarette or cooking traveled the often times
combustible exterior finish and made quick work of access an unprotected
truss void or attic.  While 13R systems were not created for property
protection this still warranted some attention and the sidewall offers an
affordable option.  Generally speaking the piping exists only a few feet
away in the ceiling so there is not an exceptional cost when weighing risk /
benefit.

For calculations - well frankly I don't see a calculation problem.  First of
all the exceeding the 4-head design argument goes out the window since the
deck is clearly outside the 'compartment' for design area purposes in 13R.
Secondly I'm not aware of that many 13R systems that are eligible to
calculate two heads based on compartment size so typically its 3 or 4 heads
calc'd.  The exterior head (k5.6) is within the water demand already in
place on the project and if it is effective at preventing an exterior fire
from penetrating the building envelope and running the concealed combustible
spaces then we really saved since we didn't operate more than one head -
versus the 3 or 4 we designed for.

If the exterior head doesn't suppress the fire until FD resources arrive OR
if it never goes off because the heat zoomed past it and took hold of the
attic above then we still didn't loose anything we didn't have already.
Remember this is a 13R system and if you're in a place that doesn't use the
IFC then you don't protect these spaces anyway and burning the building down
with no life loss is still a 13R success.  Sounds like a little cheap
insurance.

I also find in the installations I've seen so far that even the top floor
balcony with no roof over still has some type of projection / soffit over
the area where the head is located.  If the heat of a top floor fire is
escaping freely into the atmosphere and the head doesn't operate then it
also supports the fact that the building envelope wasn't being exposed to
temperatures that would indicate compromise and vertical spread.  On the
other hand if the fire is close to the building wall on the deck and
possibly vertically exposing the envelope there is a much greater chance
that the heat will rise and fire can spread easily into the attic by way of
the soffit .. Likely also activating the head in the mean time and
delivering water to suppress the heat release until manual FD resources
arrive.

My final thought is that this kind of 'exposure' or impromptu window
sprinkler was where the authors were heading and nothing more since they did
not include this requirement for full 13 systems which likely would contain
concealed combustible space / attic protection.  The authors simply did not
want to chance a fire penetrating the building envelope and went with the
original premise of early water close to the base of the fire.  Personally I
would like to see it added as a requirement for 13 systems as well in the
IFC since it is possible and fairly common to have wood framed multiple
dwellings that have 13 systems for various modifications but a fire on a
deck is still hot enough to penetrate the building envelope.

Thanks again

Dave,