I wish that existed many editions ago.  One of our clients have 20+ group
residences built in the 70's and 80's, more like large ranch houses, they
house severely mentally retarded adults.  Most have 3" or 4" DPV's and sch40
systems throughout the attics feeding uprights and dry pendents.  Some of
these systems we wait up to 2 minutes for a solid stream of water and
they're not very large which is the strange part, maybe 2500 SF.  We've done
work on them, accelerators, repaired broken pipe, air compressors, etc., and
even replaced some with perimeter soffitted cpvc wet systems.  I just
scratch my head (and get splinters) on some of these wondering about what
might happen if they ever had to wait that long.  I don't know if there was
some sort of loophole allowing really small pipe in those days (early 13R?)
but most were done by out of state contractors no longer around.

It's very humbling to spend time in one of these settings, even having a
retarded brother.  I had to go there on a Christmas Eve a few years ago for
a head that started leaking and the system tripped, they have to wheelchair
them out to vans with the heaters running, all freaked out, one at a time.
15 seconds is great.  I don't mean to blab on but if it was any kind of use
similar to this one, I'd find a way to provide a wet system if I could.

Tom

true but the text is weakly worded.  The section that references the
Table says "based on the hazard" not the type of sprinkler (as does
the Table).  I believe the intent was for residential sprinklers (for
which a 15 sec requirement exists as part of the listing test
standard) but writing what you mean can be a challenge.  As pointed
out by Ed, the 2010 clarifies it nicely.  It was an interesting
evolution.  It started with the standard dry pipe rule: 60 sec for
systems greater than 500 gal and said any size system protecting
residential dwellings shall not exceed 60 sec.  Then it was pushed
down to 15 sec.

Roland