On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:37 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

> Are the changes to the sprinklers going to vary from the original design?
>  What exactly is he doing by changing out heads?  Need to be more specific.

************
yes, walls moved, and I believe the design area changed from 1,500 to 3,000,
as this is a job on a military base whose last renovation occured in 1994.
************

>
>
> If the changes to the system are significant enough, is he providing a new
> hydraulic calculation for the system?  If he is then he should have the
> water flow data, that is if the EOR did his job.


*************
regarding a hydraulic calculation,
yes I am asking for this.  we have waterflow data...
the question I was asking is whether the contractor should document the UG
system
 of pipes, hydrants, etc. that disply the water supply to the building.
 This is something
 I feel should be on the plans.  So I will do it, because the GC knows the
AS contractor
 doesn't want to, and it will take a long tim. (The AS reluctance may be
justified, depending
 upon whom you ask, the specs indicate some level of detail is required in
documenting the source of
 water to the building, but I did not know the specs, when I asked the AS
contractor
 to document this water supply information).

*************


>

As far as you asking for bracing, based on what?  Is bracing required by the
> building code or other applicable code?  Was that requirement established
> and defined in the contractor's scope of work as attached to his contract?
>  Just saying to provide bracing per NFPA 13 for the sake of providing
> bracing with no direction or information is of little value.  What are the
> seismic characteristics of the site?  Was that given to him?  If he's going
> to brace then it needs to be completely compliant, not just a brace here or
> there at someone's whim.


************
i think the EoR is the one that wrote the specifications.
I received them...not wrote them.
these specs are vague...from previous thread the specs say to
  "describe seismic bracing, restraint and protection features
   for non-structural building systems and installed components."

for new construction on another project at same site
this sub and I worked together
we put EQ bracing up on that project.
that was a bit like pulling teeth
getting the calcs complete.

for this renovation,
i stand corrected and back down, I change my mind.
no EQ bracing...the pipe can fall down.
Earthquakes happen in central Cally.

****************




>
>
>



>
> Sounds like a big truckload of info needs to be coming from the EOR first.
>  As the reviewer you should not be doing the engineering on the job, and if
> the contractor is slow in responding according to the GC, that's not your
> problem.


NFPA 13 doesn't specifically define what's part of a scope of work or not,
the contract documents do.  So you can't enforce NFPA 13 as his contract
duty. Obviously he is obligated to install to meet NFPA 13 requirements, but
13 doesn't define the limits of work.

If the EOR left vital information off his construction documents, then it's
HIS responsibility to learn how to execute a protect correctly and provide
the necessary information to the contractor so ultimately you have what you
need to do a thorough review.

The issue is, are you asking to do things that were not part of his
contract?

**************
that's the issue, that is why I asked for advice.
thanks for helping


scot deal
excelsior fire
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to