I agree with Chris in as much as you suspend loads vertically from "Panel
points", top or bottom is irrelevant. (Over load of points between panel
points can cause distortion of the upper or lower cord and weaken the
truss.) However the introduction of Lateral loads by seismic connections is
a whole different animal. A truss that will support XX load per lineal foot
in the vertical position when laid on its side deflects, the same as when a
lateral load is applied.(Check out the Bow of a 60' truss when it's not
picked up in the vertical position.)

Thom McMahon, SET
Firetech, Inc.
2560 Copper Ridge Dr
P.O. Box 882136
Steamboat Springs, CO 80488
Tel:  970-879-7952
Fax: 970-879-7926


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Chris Cahill
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 9:21 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Hanging. bracing, or restraining from the bottom chord of a
trussor joist

Back when I first got in the business this issue came up.  Not too far from
you is a little 'ol institution of higher learning known as the University
of Minnesota.  I spoke with 2 PhD Professors and our own City SE.  All were
in agreement.  The caveat is a truss with similar top chord and bottom chord
construction.  The truss does not care where you hang from.  The load are
transferred the same within the truss.  That's the point of the truss.  With
that information while AHJ for the City I didn't care provided the chords
were the same. And most of what we see is same top and bottom chords.  As a
contractor now it doesn't come up too often where there is even the
opportunity to hang from the bottom so we just go along to get along and
everything is top chord.   

I did ask why some SE's and AHJ had issues hanging from the bottom.  Lazy
and/or ignorant was what I got back.  You know how some PhD's can be, lol.

Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.
 
763-658-4483
763-658-4921 fax
 

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to