Yesterday I received a call from a local Sprinkler Contractor who had an
unusual request of him by a local Plumbing Inspector from a Vermont
Municipality. The Sprinkler Contractor had requested a construction permit
to install a Back Flow Preventor (BFP) on an existing Sprinkler System
riser. The local plumbing inspector stated that the connection between the
BFP and the municipal water main (existing service inside the building) was
to be performed by a Master Plumber. When I questioned the Plumbing
Inspector about this he stated it was in the plumbing code. I have spent a
couple of hours reviewing City, State plumbing codes and the IPC and not had
any luck finding this requirement.

I am looking for guidance or comments on this as I have never heard of this
before in 22 years of design or construction. In the "Vermont Fire and
Building Code", if a Back Flow Preventor has to be installed on an existing
sprinkler system, and there are a lot of old pipe schedules system without
BFP, then the sprinkler system needs to be evaluated by a NICET certified
designer to make sure the system will operate properly after the
installation.

Regards,

G. Tim Stone

Chairman: Northern New England Chapter of AFSA

G. Tim Stone Consulting, LLC

NICET Level III Engineering Technician

Fire Protection Sprinkler Design

and Consulting Services

117 Old Stage Rd. - Essex Jct., VT. 05452

TEL: (802) 434-2968          Fax: (802) 434-4343

                tston...@comcast.net