I'm with Dave A. on the issue of 13/13R 'hybrid' designs where a single
building contains both systems .... where did we see that in the model
building codes which dictate the 'when and where'?  If using the IBC then
903.3.1.2 references an NFPA 13R system '... in buildings of Group R...'.
Note specific limitation to a building versus the Group R fire area when
selecting an NFPA 13R system.

That being said .... providing fire walls between the sleeping units and
common corridors and other areas outside the dwelling / sleeping unit would
create separate buildings according to the building code.  I have to ask
though - what is the advantage to this building design?  Would we not spend
a lot of money on constructing structural fire walls versus a fire barrier ?
Then we have the protection of openings and penetrations in these firewalls
between the corridors and sleeping rooms (doors, transfer openings, pipe,
conduits etc)  When penetrating firewalls the requirements for opening
protective's and through penetration fire stopping is much more restrictive
or prohibited / limited than with a typical corridor fire barrier to
sleeping room design.  Am I missing something here on this?

Let the locally adopted model building code dictate the minimum level of
system which can be provided and THEN if the designer or owner wants to
trade-up or buy additional property protection they can consider a full 13
system - unless they are automatically forced to a 13 system by the model
code.

I have plenty of suppressed 4-story wood frame attached single family
townhouses with legitimate structural firewalls between them establishing
separate buildings under the building code .... with NFPA 13R systems in
them complete remote station alarm & supervision because of the locally
modified IBC.  Sure, in many other jurisdictions these could and would be
13D systems but the referenced standards are only invoked by a prevailing
building code.

When you have a code pathway in your laws or ordinances follow it!  Picking
a referenced standard by title and scope alone is cart before the horse
thinking and will get someone jammed up down the road.

Anyway, what's for lunch?  - I'm buying.

Dave P.
Victim of NJ Heat Wave - disregard free lunch offer