It's not, just a rule of thumb that works well enough. To answer your
original question of why that number though I can't say. You can be
down to 3/4 of a tank but that still leaves 6 hours by the formula.
Considering automatic supplies in the rule perhaps? Why not an
exception for a stored water only source then? Assuming going to half
or less a tank between refills? That certainly happens. Enquiring
minds want to know.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Fairchild, Jack
<jfairch...@ballinger-ae.com> wrote:
> Yup, according to the appendix that equates to 8 hours.  Never knew fuel burn
> was a linear relation to horsepower.  :)
>
> Jack Fairchild

Ron Greenman
Instructor
Fire Protection Engineering Technology
Bates Technical College
1101 So. Yakima Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98405

rgreen...@bates.ctc.edu

http://www.bates.ctc.edu/fireprotection/

253.680.7346
253.576.9700 (cell)

Member:
AFSA, SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, NFSA, AFAA, ASEE, NIBS, WSAFM, WFC

They are happy men whose natures sort with their vocations. -Francis
Bacon, essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)