Normally the engineer is supposed to consider this and incorporate some sort
of instructions with the bid package.  In my opinion, domestic demand should
ALWAYS be considered but many times does not change the outcome.  If you are
only the sprinkler designer how are you supposed to chase down all these
other subs in order to find out how much water they are using?  It's not the
sprinkler designer's job to guess.  For example, a military barracks job
with multiple buildings in proximity - hundreds of showers at the same time.
Perhaps a bottling plant with constant flow.  Lawn irrigation systems also.
I think that self shut off flows (toilet flush) can be ignored, but others
should be considered.  The plumbing engineer can (and should) provide a
number for these based on Hunter's curve or some other engineering method.

Water tank make-up would be one of the flows to consider.

Probably a good practice on every job to send an early RFI and ask about all
these domestic flows.  Share the problem with others.

Bill Brooks

William N. Brooks, P.E.
Brooks Fire Protection Engineering Inc.
372 Wilett Drive