I am working on a building with a 3:12 roof trusses where they want to store 
Class III commodities to 12 ft. Since the storage area will exceed 10% of the 
building area, it is not considered miscellaneous storage (Chapter 13). 
However, chapter 14 (NFPA 13 - 2010) refers storage 12 ft and under back to 
Chapter 13. Section 12.1.2, which restricts roof slope to less than 2:12, 
states only references Chapters 12 and 14-20. I have 2 questions:

1) If I am using chapter 14 to determine criteria and it refers back to Chapter 
13, does section 12.1.2 apply?

2) Does this mean that miscellaneous storage can be protected using Chapter 13 
criteria without regard to roof slope? So if I have someone who wants to store 
to 16 ft in a building with a 4:12 pitch, a legitimate option would be to lower 
the storage to 12 ft?

Todd G. Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, CT
860.535.2080
www.fpdc.com

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to