From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of å... ....
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 6:44 PM
To: SprinklerFORUM@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Reliable Power

It might be consdidered that areas prone to unacceptably high
risk to electrical failure (e.g. tsunami, earthquaqe, flood, volcano,
avalanche, corrosion, lightning, even vandalism, etc.)  should take
these natural or 'environmental' disasters into consideration as
to whether a provided electrical power is reliable or not.  If we are doing
life safety design, or *getting paid under the rubric of such* a title,
then it is encumbant to do due diligence.  If evidence of electrical
interruptions is chosen to be avoided, then that decision should
be documented and signed off by the responsible person(s), and
preferably posted in an obvious and public space on the affected
property.  If our decisions put other lives in relatively increased
jeapordy,
and this is the nature of our business, we should 'cowboy up' on
such decisions, and make the motivations transparent (i.e. cost
savings, time savings, or my favorite (we didn't want to publiclly
address a change in design strategy because that would create the
appearance of us not know what we were doing [so we will simply leave
the users of our utility at increased jeapardy]).

This comments is not directed at anyone in particular; it is more a
commentary on the way life safety decisions are all too often executed,
behind closed doors and then sealed from review.   The more these
decisions are made transparent, the faster we will find those decisions
that will create statistics and not events, and the sooner the younger
generation will learn what is an 'acceptable' risk (something that changes
with culture and financing).

scot deal
excelsior fire