From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:04 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Draftsperson test exercise

Mike,
When I was in the position to hire I used to use two tests.  The first one was
a math test with simple word problems that used sprinkler terminology.

For example, You are to design a tree type fire sprinkler system.  The
sprinkler heads are spaced 13'-0" on center along the branch lines, and they
are spaced 12'-0" on center between branch lines.  A remote area of 1500 square
feet is required.  Answer the following: a) How many square feet will be
covered per sprinkler head?

Another question, It is noon.  You look at the clock.  The big hand is on
three.  The little hand is on five.  What time is it?

I also gave a CAD test by providing all the required components of a simple
riser. They were than given a picture of the finished product and given 30
minutes to assemble as much of it as possible.

Both of these tests really helped weed out those who didn't have the aptitude
to design.  Some applicants walked out, some just sat there, and some asked
questions.  Most couldn't answer simple math problems.

I thought that this was a pretty good system to find out what a person was
capable of without hiring someone with a "good" resume only to find out that
they buffaloed their way in.

Bob Knight, CET III
208-318-3057
www.firebyknight.com