From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Sprinkler Forum
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 7:36 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: Ventilation for diesel driven fire pump room

Aha perfect time to jump in...  I have been going through these calcs on
Clarke's website all yesterday. I have a situation where we are looking at 125
degree ambient temperature (outside) and about 120 degree water that will be
used for the heat exchanger. Using a delta t of 10 degrees F for the pump room
I am getting about 20,000 cfm needed for ventilation of the engine I have
selected. So I have derated the engine based on 130 degrees temp in the pump
room ( I know the code says 120 is max but what can we do that's what we're
starting at outside). We may also have to go with a larger cooling loop also
given the water temperature.

So here's the question. I have selected a diesel engine because we do not have
a reliable power supply, so... What about the ventilation fans? If the power
goes out because of this unreliable power supply, I wont have the ventilation
fans. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with looking at the reliability of the
ventilation fans before. I looked at FM data sheets and did not see it
addressed as well as NFPA 20.

My current solution will be to provide a small genset for the just the fans and
the motorized dampers that are part of the ventilation system. This is
preferrable (I think) to going with electric pumps with a larger generator.

Justin Reid

Sent from my iPhone