From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of John Drucker
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:01 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: NJ windowless Basements N.J.A.C. 5:70-4.7

Joel wrote; And there is no hydraulic requirements?

What Dave said below.

Remember (Emphasis in CAPS).... "(h) In all buildings, any windowless basement
or story located below the seventh story shall be equipped throughout with an
automatic fire suppression system INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE NEW JERSEY
UNIFORM CONSTRUCTION CODE."  So you'll need to follow IBC 903, NFPA 13 and NSPC
10.5 with the exception of the automatic water supply.

You'll need to make some water supply assumptions. Prudent is to determine what
normal street supply would be even though damp systems don’t require an
automatic water supply. From there determine the hazard and assign density,
calculate coverage and pipe sizes. Remember back flow protection.

In a nutshell design it as if the water supply was automatic.

Hope that helps,

John Drucker, CET
Fire Protection Subcode Official
Fire/Building/Electrical Inspector
Fire Marshals Office
Borough of Red Bank, NJ

Not the official position of any agency, association, committee or otherwise.
Obtain required applications, permits, inspections and approvals from
Authority(s) Having Jurisdiction.