From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Steve Leyton
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 5:01 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Excellent comments from a smart guy

Not to prolong the prolongation but ...

Galen's comments were based in part on CA amendments, so like much of what we
discuss here in the forum, there isn't necessarily one global
solution.   I'm not sure as to what other states may do, but generally
the applicability of 13R is governed by construction type and whether or not
the sprinklers are counted as a substitution or not.  Once common miss is that
13R systems are used (or proposed) in buildings taking an additional story and
the building code says you can't do that, it must
be 13.   As to the specifics of the thread, you are - of course -
technically correct in that you pick a design basis and stay with it.
But in the case of this basement I'm still not understanding of the
compartmentalization or reduction in density issues that have been raised.
Whether the BOD is 13R or 13 is irrelevant: it's an area outside the dwelling
unit, it's not misc. storage (an accessory use) it's GENERAL storage (a
dedicated use) and every way I look at it the design comes back to OH2 per NFPA
13.

The foregoing is my opinion only and does not necessarily represent the opinion
or intent of the NFPA 13D/13R Technical Committee on Residential Sprinkler
Systems.

Steve Leyton
Protection Design & Consulting
San Diego, CA