GREAT  SCOTT!! i mean, great, scott.
i have to admit i cringed a bit at 5' spacing-- SIX is The Minimum!
but that's when max deflector distance is also in play :)

you have inspired me to post a test question (test because i already know the answer-- the job went out a couple years ago)

Quoting "å... ...." <eurekaig...@gmail.com>:

Very good points Bill and Wayne:

2007 NFPA 13:  Chapter 17.3

I bet with 98% confidence that NFPA 13 intended the maximum horizontal
spacing of in-rack sprinklers for plastic storage in open, double- and
multiple-row racking at heights >= 25 ft to be
   a).  10 ft for double pallet bays (for lack of a better name), and
   b).   5 ft for single pallet load bays.

The true intention is eagerly sought, regardless of winning a bet or not.

The 10 ft horizontal maximum spacing "bet" is based on Note to Figure
17.3.1.2 and Note in Figures 17.3.1.4.3(a-d).
The 5 ft horizontal maximum spacing "bet" is based on Figure 17.3.4.1.4.

Coincidence as to the 10:5 ft maximum horizontal in-rack sprinkler spacing
relative to the 2:1 pallet loading/bay?

I think one item that bears repeating, is the intention to put an in-rack
sprinkler *in the transverse flue, *not simply comply with the maximum
horizontal spacing of in-rack sprinkler, wherever that spacing lands within
the bay.

Now, if I were the AHJ, and any contractor of honesty presented me with
rack columns having a  10' 4" transverse flue spacing, and the sprinkler
designer wanted to go with the "install in-rack sprinklers every-2-pallets"
horizontal spacing strategy... I would *strongly* consider giving a
variance of 4-inches on this maximum 10 ft iin-rack horizontal spacing.
 Was I present at all or even more than a handful of  UL or FM in-rack
full-scale fire tests,  to fully know the implications of this variance?
 No.  But are many of the results from these tests presented as monograph
or video literature publicly available, and the essential findings from
these same tests, distilled as text into Annex A and B comments?  Sure they
are.  Have I reviewed them?  You can bet that I have.  Are there some
compensatory
mitigations that I as the AHJ might ask of our stakeholders, were I the AHJ
stakeholder to grant such a variance to the team?  Sure, there are.  If
those mitigations decreased sprinkler activation time, or increased water
delivery density, then those would be good mitigations, in that order.

Exercise of  "good judgment" is the lubrication that keeps the customer
coming back for more...to borrow a mixed metaphor from that Conservative
party leader across the pond who -- two days on, at the Hague -- may "give
us more."

Most young professionals strive to learn the rules;  many older
professionals struggle to remember the exceptions.  Consideration of both,
rather than dogmatic overconfidence and/or blind allegiance to just one
ideology, is often more than enough to put a wind at our back as we go down
the path of delivering good decisions.

scot deal
Excelsior Fire/Risk Engineering