For the next (2016) edition I filed a Public Input asking for the 18" minimum 
be dropped and for the "S" dimension to be changed to "1/2 S".
As per the First Draft Report, that was accepted, but of course it is 
susceptible to change during the Second round of deliberations.

Larry Keeping, P.Eng.

Professional Loss Control
3413 Wolfedale Road, Suite 6
Mississauga, Ontario
L5C 1V8

Phone:   905-949-2755, ext. 204
Fax:        905-949-1752

E-mail:    [email protected]


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of 
[email protected]
Sent: April-11-14 10:34 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Obstructions against wall EC's

Just noticed Figure 8.8..1.2(c), 2013, it's new. It is also added for standard 
and residential heads. I tried to look up the ROP/ROC's but I lost my link and 
I can never find them through the menu system.

The figure indicates a minimum depth of 18" for an obstruction (soffit) against 
a wall. I'm curious because there is no minimum distance listed for the 
sprinkler away from the side of the obstruction. Doing the math in Figure 
8.8.5.1.2)(b) a 17" deep by 24" wide obstruction would require an A dimension 
of 33". The counterintuitive part for me is that some  obstructions <18" deep 
and 24" wide could require a sprinkler beneath if with the minimum A dimension 
in Figure (b) isn't met but if the obstruction were 1" deeper it wouldn't 
require a sprinkler. Maybe I'm over analyzing or am I missing something.

Ron F  

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to