From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Chris Born
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:18 PM
To: sprinklerfo...@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Thermal Barrier for Bathrooms

I'm looking for a quick sanity check.  We are an A/E firm designing new college
dormitories.  These dorms typically contain four bedroom suites with two
bathrooms in each suite.  The 1987 edition of 2013 is applicable, and the
bathrooms are less than 55 square feet.  In order to omit sprinklers from the
bathrooms, 13:8.25.8.1.1 requires walls and ceilings to be noncombustible or
limited combustible materials with a 15 minute thermal barrier, including walls
and ceilings behind shower enclosures and tubs.

The buildings are noncombustible construction, with concrete floors, metal
studs and drywall, etc.  If the shower enclosure abuts metal studs and there is
drywall on the other side of the studs, does that satisfy the requirement or
does the drywall have to separate the shower enclosure from the studs?

I think I know the answer/intent, but I'm interested in opinions or specific
references because I either have to convince the AHJ or the general contractor
(design-build project).

Christopher Born, P.E.
Director, Fire Protection Engineering
Clark Nexsen