From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Sean Lockyer
Sent: May-20-15 11:38 AM
To: 'sprinklerfo...@firesprinkler.org'; 'sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org'
Subject: CPVC listing "grey area"

I have an interesting question to ask of everyone here. I am being asked to
install an NFPA  13, non-residential sprinkler system in a small, new building
that will be constructed with wood. However, the wood trusses will consist of
fire rated lumber with a flamespread rating of less than 25, which will not
require sprinkler protection since they would considered to then be
non-combustible, or at the worst, limited combustible.

With that being said, could you then install CPVC piping in these concealed
areas without also having to use the specially listed concealed sprinklers
(such as the CC1, CC2, HIP, BB1, etc.) heads that Tyco makes ?

Remember, you can only install CPVC in an attic or a combustible concealed
space if you also use those specially listed heads but if the area is
technically not combustible I would say that you could use CPVC just like if
you were using CPVC above an gyp board ceiling in an office for example - if
you take the listing literally.

What does everyone else think ?

              Sean Lockyer
              Project Designer                               4617 Parkbreeze
Court
              Cell    386-279-1197                              Orlando,
Florida 32808
              slock...@aitlifesafety.com              Phone:      407-816-9101
              www.AITLifeSafety.com                       Fax:
407-816-9104