We had a similar situation on a Navy base. We were told we couldn't use the
lifts because they were not designed/listed  for installing sprinkler pipe.
I think this was because of how we lay our pipe on the rails of the lift. We
eventually were able to use the lifts, but only after showing we were well
within the weight limits of the lifts and we had to use a large saddle to
hold the pipes so they were not resting on the rails. If I remember
correctly, the saddle was something that was provided by the lift
manufacturer. I also remember OSHA being mentioned a lot in the
conversations. This base was really cracking down on safety as they had a
worker lose his life the year before after being pinned under a steel beam
that had fallen. 

Hope that helps.

Mike Hill


-----Original Message-----
From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Rod DiBona
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 10:50 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Army Corp of Engineer Safety


All,

I have a pretty tough situation that I was wondering if anyone had dealt
with before. We have an Army Corp of Engineer job for a new hangar. Pipe
arrived onsite and they are telling us that we cannot install the piping
from man lifts. They are adamant that they are "bound by the EM385 and the
lift manufacturers requirements." In the lower sections we offered to
install the pipe off of ladders and were told no to that as well. We have
asked for documentation and they say that "OSHA" says that our guys can't
lift over 50 lbs each because it is increases the chance of injury.  We have
done a bunch of Corp jobs all over the place and always install the pipe off
of man lifts and ladders. I can't even imagine trying to get the pipe with
some sort of duct lift or winching it piece by piece. We will take all the
appropriate action, including but not limited to tying all requirements to
our contract etc. but was really wondering if anybody else had been told
anything like this from th  e corp. Thanks for any help you can offer.  I
have reached out to a couple of you offline and appreciate the help, I
wanted to open it up to the masses.



Rod at Rapid
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to