From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org]
On Behalf Of Steve Leyton
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 12:34 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Standpipe Calc: Adding City Demand to Pumper Truck?

Attention Everybody (and Sean):

It is time for us as an industry to move outside the box.   Prescriptive
codes and standards are convenient, and most AHJ's will defer to them
without amendment or interpretation because it's usually not required to do
so.   But sometimes we have to address situations that ARE subjective and
this is one of those - you have to meet with the serving fire department to
verify their operational practices and pumping capabilities.  Your statement
that the pumper is "... sized for 150psi at 1000gpm" isn't accurate;
generally, modern pumpers and engines can make up to 300 PSI at either 1,000
or 1,500 GPM so available pressure isn't the issue.  Design of the system
and identification of the demand are the issues.    150 PSI is an industry
practice, not an absolute threshold that can't be crossed and NFPA 14 has a
requirement that you must hang a sign on the FDC informing the FD of the
required pressure to meet the calculated demand.

As with sprinkler systems, Pressure = $$, so the more you have the smaller
the piping can generally be and you save $$.   150 is a safe starting
pressure so most FD's will require that you use that as a source pressure;
if a manual standpipe system is a little longer or taller and requires more
pressure we can make that up by subbing 6" for 4" and it still works at 150.
But in taller buildings, you will need more pressure so, if you want to do a
70' tall building  with 4" risers all the way up the shafts, then you have
to obtain FD approval to pump at 195 or 215 or whatever it turns out to be.
And, you have to build the system out of components rated for that pressure,
which is actually no big deal these days.    And when it's over, you badge
the FDC with a sign that states, "PUMP 1000 GPM AT 215 PSI TO MEET DEMAND AT
STAIR #2 ROOF" or something like that (your FD will tell you how to word the
sign).

Partner up people ...

The preceding is my opinion only and does not represent the opinion of or an
interpretation of the standard by NFPA or the Technical Committee on
Standpipes.

Steve L.