Suction control valves are actually installed on the discharge of the pump
between check and test tee, sensing line runs to suction.

TD

Unless an applicable code supercedes NFPA 20 they're allowable in new
installations.  From NFPA 20 2016:

4.16.10.1 Suction pressure regulating valves that are listed for pump
service and that are suction pressure sensitive shall be permitted where the
authority having jurisdiction requires positive  pressure to be maintained
on the suction piping.

My supervisor said that is for existing systems. We are installing new fire
pumps.

Tim

I can't do the subject justice of explaining how they work.  But I'm curious
why you wouldn't use the industry standard solution to this concern, a low
suction control valve? EG
http://www.cla-val.com/fire-protection-pump-suction-control-valve-p-188-l-en
.html