Tim,
I recently ran into s similar situation in a large mechanical room. Large duct
within 4" of a pair of W sections that went horizontally about 60 ft. The
pocket above was impossible to get to and provide little protection is
activated. We put sprinklers under the duct and at either end at roof level.
Omitted sprinklers above. This was accepted by the AHJ and FM Global. It is
always best to run this by them first.

Todd G Williams, PE Fire Protection Design/Consulting Stonington, CT
860-535-2080 (ofc) 860-608-4559 (cell)
Sent using CloudMagic
[https://cloudmagic.com/k/d/mailapp?ct=ti&cv=6.0.64&pv=8.2]