Thanks Guys for all of the responses. This will shed some more light on this
project:
Four weeks ago we didn't know this project existed. At the request of the owner
we took on a "Cost Plus" project management arrangement to attempt to inject
some sanity into the process.
The building is a Rigid Frame Steel Building...already built. There are about
54,000 square feet of coolers/freezers inside the building...90% built out.
There is a remainder of 20,000 square feet of office and loading dock. The
original conceptual design was nothing more than "Dots on a Page" and a note
calling for an ESFR Antifreeze System. There is a preliminary rack plan but the
Coolers may only be partially racked...rack height 20'...inside height of
coolers is 26'. We have a few areas that we can raise pipe above the ceiling of
the coolers and distribute pipe.
My initial concepts allows for 20' of storage in rack of Class IV utilizing
ESFR 16.8 heads with a starting pressure of 35 PSI spaced 10 x 10 flowing 12
heads...no in rack required (Florida is still using NFPA 13 2010 edition).
Water supply is 58/54/1150...I added a 1000 GPM @ 100 PSI pump. If I run a wet
grid I can get a 10 psi safety factor using ESFR's dropping thru the top of the
cooler. I priced the ESFR 16.8 Heads and the owner was...well "Blown Away".
So now I'm comparing alternative concepts to compare costs. I don't want to
sprinkle the racks because I can't tie down where they will be or how many
there are. My main concern with the wet pipe overhead concept is the challenge
of working in about 5 feet of clear space over the coolers along with
distributing the pipe after lifting it up through a few openings....very labor
intensive.
I thought about the SIPA because it has fewer restrictions on
ara/gallonage...allowing up to 1000 heads. The 30% requirement for area
increase on PA systems may kill that idea. Straight up Dry Pipe with the
gallonage limitations and maintenance issues may prove to be logistically
impractical.
The panels are 6" thick but may not be substantial enough to hold the weight of
pipe and water.
At this point...I'm not seeing enough reason to change from my initial concept
of wet pipe overhead with dry pendent heads.
Thanks, Atlantic Realty and Building, LLC

 On Sunday, September 18, 2016 3:02 PM, Bruce Verhei <bver...@comcast.net>