From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Bruce Verhei
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 4:39 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: spray bar versus deluge heads for opening protection [EXTERNAL]

Why not a large orifice sidewall at each side of each trailer?

Going back to objectives, and what is not objective. Writing it out helps, at
least me.

1. Goal is not to protect trailer or trailers contents;

Assumed after this:

2. Goal is not to keep fire originating in building from spreading to
trailer/contents.

3. Goal is to confine fire originating in trailer or at opening from spreading
to building.

4. Design to reduce smoke damage is not a consideration.

5. Activation reliability/cost. Normally we think of reliability and cost as
being in conflict. In this case I don't think they are. It is my observation
that sprinkler heads are much more reliable than detection system coupled to
deluge valve.

6. Effectiveness. Some judgement and experience are call for. But I'd expect
the sidewall would likely be as or more effective at cooling the plume moving
into the building as the drill holes.

7. On-going cost. Sidewall would be cheaper.

8. Feasibility. We'd need to see more detail to see this.

9. Alarm, and response. Deluge detection, and sidewall would both result in
response. Assuming waterflow detection and off-site monitoring.

Is this an old European national standard that pre-dates the EU? Similar here
to that DOD long term housing goods storage in plywood bins, administered by
someone who doesn't understand and doesn't care?

You might find this has been around for decades, long before higher flow
sidewalls were available. (Again, like that outside canopy/loading dock detail
showing a dry pendant on a 45. Why? Because it was quite awhile before dry
sidewalls were commonly available.)

Maybe asking the question will result in a change in practice. To me it sounds
like a spec coated in dust.

Best

Bruce Verhei

On Sep 19, 2016, at 08:59, <mphe...@aerofire.com<mailto:mphe...@aerofire.com>>