Where a fire alarm system is installed, duct detectors are an initiating device
attached to and powered by the FACP system just as any other room detector.
It's essentially a regular detector head with tubes placed in an enclosure.

Here's a quote to chew on from the book, Operation of Fire Protection Systems:
"The detection of duct smoke is made difficult by its dilution with return air
from other spaces (away from the fire) and possibly with outside fresh air.
Also, when the HVAC system fan is not running, smoke may not reach the duct
detector. For these reasons, air duct smoke detectors must never be considered
as a substitute for open area protection."

Craig L. Prahl
Fire Protection Group Lead/SME
CH2M
200 Verdae Blvd.