Codes as follows:

NFPA 72 (2013) Chapter 23 Section 11 (Suppression System Actuation)

23.11.7* Each space protected by an automatic fire suppression

system actuated by the fire alarm system shall contain one

or more automatic fire detectors installed in accordance with

Chapter 17.

23.11.8 Suppression systems or groups of systems shall be

controlled by a single releasing service fire alarm control unit

that monitors the associated initiating device(s), actuates the

associated releasing device(s), and controls the associated

agent release notification appliances.

23.11.9 If the configuration of multiple control units is listed

for releasing device service, and if a trouble condition or

manual disconnect on either control unit causes a trouble or

supervisory signal, the initiating device on one control unit

shall be permitted to actuate releasing devices on another

control unit in lieu of 23.11.8.

NFPA 72 (2013) Chapter 17 Section 7 (Smoke-Sensing Fire Detectors)

17.7.4.3* Detectors placed in environmental air ducts or plenums

shall not be used as a substitute for open area detectors.

Where detectors are used for the control of smoke spread, the

requirements of 17.7.5 shall apply. Where open area protection

is required, 17.7.3 shall apply.

NFPA 101

22.3.4.4.2.2 Detectors shall be permitted to be located in exhaust

ducts from cells, behind grilles, or in other locations.

22.3.4.4.2.3 The equivalent performance of the design permitted

by 22.3.4.4.2.2 shall be acceptable to the authority having

jurisdiction in accordance with the equivalency concepts

specified in Section 1.4.

I believe it's pretty clear, but then again, maybe not.

Michael Goodis

Estimator, Project Manager

IL#000635   NICET#135586

Key Fire Protection Enterprises LLC