From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org]
On Behalf Of Parsley Consulting
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 12:06 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: small hose connections

Rocci,
    Glad to see you made it back safely from Nashville, and it was great to
meet there and put a face with the name.
    By the definition in section 3.3.2 of NFPA 14 [2013 ed], the pipe you
describe is a "branch line."  Section 6.1.2.5 of that document advises that
you need to follow NFPA 13 to provide protection against damage from
earthquakes.
    Lateral bracing for that line is not required per NFPA 13 [2013]
9.3.5.5.1, as it is not a branch line 2½" or larger.
    Longitudinal bracing for that line is not required per 9.5.6.1 as it is
not a feed or cross main.
    My opinion only.  Please see the disclaimer below.
sincerely,

Ken Wagoner, SET
Parsley Consulting
350 West 9th Avenue, Suite 206
Escondido, California 92025
Phone 760-745-6181
Visit our website <http://www.parsleyconsulting.com/>

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This correspondence is not a Formal Interpretation issued
pursuant to NFPA Regulations. Any opinion expressed is the personal opinion
of the author and does not necessarily represent the official position of
the NFPA or its Technical Committees. In addition, this correspondence is
neither intended, nor should it be relied upon, to provide professional
consultation or services

It should be noted that the above is my opinion as a member of the NFPA
Automatic Sprinkler System Hanging and Bracing Committee in accordance with
the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects and should therefore not
be considered, nor relied upon, as the official position of the NFPA or its
Committees