A big ole negative on that expectation and other than extra hazard II, this has
nothing to do with the classification.  Even then it isn’t the source of
ignition but more the ignitability (aka flammable liquids).

Nonetheless, lets look at this scenario (so when this discussion comes up with
a client or AHJ in the future).  SO your fan bearing starts failing  (or your
clicking electrical switch) and generating enough heat to ignite combustibles.
What’s there to burn?  It’s all about the fuel load with with an expectation
that a fire starts.  Ignition potential only enters the equation when
discussing RISK as part of a variance (say for omitting sprinklers)

To wrap it up, occupied or used refers to the likely contents of the space.
The mechanical space does not warrant an OH due to the equipment the space is
used for but for unauthorized use for storage (as commonly occurs).

Roland

Roland Huggins, PE - VP Engineering
American Fire Sprinkler Assn.       ---      Fire Sprinklers Saves Lives
Dallas, TX
http://www.firesprinkler.org <http://www.firesprinkler.org/>