From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org]
On Behalf Of Roland Huggins
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 10:05 AM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: Ordinary Hazard Attic Spacing

A big ole negative on that expectation and other than extra hazard II, this
has nothing to do with the classification.  Even then it isn't the source of
ignition but more the ignitability (aka flammable liquids).

Nonetheless, lets look at this scenario (so when this discussion comes up
with a client or AHJ in the future).  SO your fan bearing starts failing
(or your clicking electrical switch) and generating enough heat to ignite
combustibles.  What's there to burn?  It's all about the fuel load with with
an expectation that a fire starts.  Ignition potential only enters the
equation when discussing RISK as part of a variance (say for omitting
sprinklers)

To wrap it up, occupied or used refers to the likely contents of the space.
The mechanical space does not warrant an OH due to the equipment the space
is used for but for unauthorized use for storage (as commonly occurs).

Roland

Roland Huggins, PE - VP Engineering

American Fire Sprinkler Assn.       ---      Fire Sprinklers Saves Lives

Dallas, TX

http://www.firesprinkler.org <http://www.firesprinkler.org/>